UW-Whitewater Men’s White Football | Student life


Second-year full-back Rabee Haidari chases a ball against North Park earlier this month. (Photo by Curran Neenan | Student life)

The University of Washington men’s soccer team beat an unbeaten University of Wisconsin-Whitewater team on Friday night with a final score of 2-0, bringing the Bears’ record to 6-1 this season. .

Having yet to lose a game this season, Whitewater has arrived warm and ready to play against the Bears. In the opening minutes of the game, the two teams traded shots and heads to test the keepers, but WashU dominated most of the possession. It was a 27th minute foul on junior Sergio Rivas inside the Wisconsin-Whitewater penalty that broke the deadlock; Calm and serene senior Armando Sanchez-Conde stepped in to take the penalty and scored in the lower left corner to make the score 1-0 for the Bears.

Despite WashU’s lead, the Warhawks haven’t let the Bears forget why they haven’t been beaten this season yet. In the 28th minute, shortly after Sanchez broke the deadlock, the Warhawks unfortunately hit the post with the ball close to finding WashU’s net. They had a few more shots in the first half, but senior goaltender Matt Martin put his saving skills to good use.

The second half brought the same competitive energy as the first half; Three minutes later, Rivas found himself a one-on-one with the Warhawks goaltender, but was disappointed to see his goal denied by a heroic clearance from the goal line by a Whitewater defenseman. As the play continued, the two teams fought fearlessly, with the two exchanging a few shots on target. But it wasn’t until the 73rd minute, when sophomore Owen Culver, assisted by junior Julian Gancman, fired a ridiculous strike from outside the penalty area to make it 2-0. for WashU.

After the game, head coach Joe Clarke recognized the Wisconsin-Whitewater quality brought to Francis Field. “They were really big and as soon as they got the ball in your penalty area they threw everything,” he said. “The team did a good job against that.”

Clarke highlighted the performance of Martin, who recorded six saves and another scream, his fourth of the year. Martin did a “really good job collecting crosses and hitting a few balls,” Clarke said. He also praised Gancman’s performance in the victory. “It was his first comeback game, and he [was] such a good player. It was really obvious how good he is and how much he added to our team when he entered the pitch.

The players themselves had a few words to say after the game. “It was a big game for us,” Culver said. “We wanted to have a lot of momentum. So we knew we had to get out and it was going to be a battle. So we’re doing pretty well, and it was good to score both goals. “

Martin added that as the team will now focus on conference games, the victory takes them in a positive direction. “For us, having a very good performance against a team like this will boost our confidence before the conference. [games],” he said.

The Bears return to action as they take on the UAA rival University of Rochester on Saturday.

Find out what the student-athletes are saying who make the program special:

How WU baseball prepared a bear to work for Cori Bush

‘I couldn’t be prouder as a coach’: how track team members helped each other overcome midlife hurdles

A swimmer’s journey from professional table tennis to the first in-person competition in the WU pandemic era

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.