UConn women’s football recap: Huskies were shut out by Buffalo in 2-0 loss


The UConn Huskies lose to the University of Buffalo Bulls 0-2 in the women’s soccer game at Morrone Stadium on Saturday. The Huskies failed to score despite their 11 shooting attempts and faced 6 fouls at the end of the game. The women face St. Johns in their next game on September 23 at Morrone Stadium. Erin Knapp / The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut women’s football team fell to the University of Buffalo 2-0 on Saturday, September 18 at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. The Huskies (4-3-0) failed to win more than one game in a row for the fourth straight week, while the Bulls (6-1-0) were able to extend their winning streak to six games.

Saturday marked the first time the two schools met in women’s football, and each respective team wanted to make history by winning the first game of the series. The Buffalo entered Storrs in searing form; they had not conceded a goal in three consecutive matches, and had just beaten the University of Duquesne by a score of 4-0.

On the other hand, UConn had rebounded from a 5-0 loss to Brown University, beating Syracuse University 3-0 on Sunday, September 12. Head coach Margaret Rodriguez and her team are said to be looking to continue that form ahead of Saturday’s game. tough game against a spirited Buffalo team.

The Huskies lined up with Kaitlyn Mahoney in goal and a baseline consisting of Chloe Landers, Kara Long and Jackie Harnett. The midfielder consisted of Sofia Weber, Lucy Cappadona, Jessica Mazo, Emma Zaccagnini and Jordan Cara. Finally, the strike partnership consisted of forwards Jada Konte and Jaydah Bedoya.

Buffalo put pressure on UConn from the start of the game. Mahoney was called into action early as she had to take a dip to her left to prevent a shot from Buffalo midfielder Leah Wengender in the third minute. The pressure from the Bulls would ultimately be too much for the Huskies to handle as, three minutes later, midfielders Katherine Camper and Gianna Yurchak would combine to find Buffalo forward Marcy Barberic, who passed Mahoney to give the lead. to the Bulls.

However, the Huskies would start to gain momentum soon after. In the 15th minute UConn managed a corner kick and in the 18th minute Cappadona pulled the ball out from under his feet and attempted a shot on goal. Although both chances were wasted, it demonstrated an attacking fluidity that was not seen in the early stages of the game.

Mazo would recall Buffalo goalkeeper Emily Kelly in the 24th minute, as a shot from UConn midfielder forced Kelly to dive to his right in order to prevent the ball from entering the net. Jordan would also try to get the ball past the Bulls stopper, but Kelly was once again there to turn down the opportunity.

The Husky offense stalled for the first 15 minutes of the second half. That was until Konte hit a shot that headed for the lower right corner without Kelly’s outstretched arms, which kept UConn’s forward from finding the back of the net.

Husky second string goalie Marykate Ward would replace Mahoney in the second half and was called into action several times throughout the period. She was able to deny the Bulls a second goal throughout the opening stages and halfway through half-time, but the pressure from Buffalo would ultimately be too much to handle, and in the 72nd minute, the midfielder Abbey Callaghan found teammate and sister Hannah Callaghan, who managed to squeeze the ball past Ward to score and put the game to rest.

Both teams will begin their conference schedule on Thursday, September 23. The Bulls prepare to face mid-American conference rival Ohio, while the Huskies prepare for the battle against St. John’s at 7 pm at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.