Redbird Soccer returns to conference action against Southern Illinois on Saturday
NORMAL, sick. – The Illinois State women’s football team is set to resume competition at the Missouri Valley Conference with a clash against Southern Illinois on Saturday. The game will be broadcast on ESPN3.
WHEN: Saturday, September 25 at 6:00 p.m. CT
OR: Normal, Illinois, Adelaide Street Field
OPPONENT: Southern Illinois (ISU leads all-time series, which started in 2012, 2-0)
VIDEO STREAM: https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=e1291792-aacd-4256-9796-0af7daec05fc
LIVE STATISTICS: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonir/?id=355088
STORY OF THE SERIES
Illinois State leads the series all-time, 1-0, edging the Salukis by a 3-0 margin. The teams meet at Normal for the first time on Saturday, with the only meeting in the series’ history having taken place on 4/3/2021 at Carbondale.
LAST TIMEOUT (VS TOLEDO)
The ‘Birds fell, 1-0, at Toledo on Sunday in overtime in a wild finish which saw junior redshirt Priya Gillan saving a PK with 1:09 left in settlement after a hotly contested appeal against Gillan resulted in a Toledo PK. ISU was dominated by Toledo, 11-10, but ISU had no SOG. Junior Allison baker had a shot grazing the crossbar at the end of the second half.
The Redbirds will be without a first-year midfielder Sydney smith, who started the team’s last five games on Saturday after receiving a second yellow at 2:25 into extra time. Smith received a yellow card at halftime.
TWO WITH THREE MORE
Fifth year senior Natalie Vaughn Low is tied for second in MVC with four goals as a senior Riley o’brien is tied for fifth with three. Illinois State is the only team in the MVC with two players with more than three goals.
SOMETHING MUST GIVE
The Redbirds are off to a tough 0-5 start at Adelaide Street Field, their worst home start in program history. Conversely, the Salukis, now in their third season as a program, have yet to record a road victory. SIU enters Saturday’s game with an 18-game winless streak, having last won in their last game of 2019.
- MILITARY APPRECIATION NIGHT: The team will honor Army Ranger Sgt. Josh Rodgers, who died in April 2017 in Nangarhar province. the sister of Joshua, a former Illinois state football player Hannah rodgers, and his family will be present and present the game ball before the game.
- ROTC: For the national anthem, the ROTC will make a large flag presentation on the field. The victory bell will also be present and ring whenever the Redbirds score.
- Discount shirts: This game is the last Shirtember event of the year. Camouflage t-shirts will be offered to the first 100 students present.
- Kids club gift: Reggie Kids Club members will receive a transparent backpack.
- Concessions: This game will offer a special popcorn combo: Regular Popcorn + Beer = $ 7; Popcorn for children + lemonade = $ 3
For all the latest Illinois state football news, stay tuned to GoRedbirds.com and follow the team at @Redbird_Soccer (Twitter, Facebook) and @RedbirdSoccer on Instagram.
GoRedbirds.com and the Illinois State Redbirds app: Your sources for Illinois State Notes, Weisbecker Scholarship Fund giveaways, multimedia, Redbird merchandise, photos and more.