PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Red Bulls’ Luquinhas wins honor
Luquin celebrated his fifth goal of the season as the Red Bulls won on Saturday. (Photo courtesy of the Red Bulls)
Red Bulls midfielder Luquinhas has been voted Major League Soccer Player of the Week for week 15 of the 2022 MLS season, it was announced on Tuesday.
Luquin scored his fifth goal of the season on Saturday in the Red Bulls’ 2-0 victory over Toronto FC, which lifted them to second place in the Eastern Conference. His five goals are the second most for the Red Bulls this season and tied for the most by a midfielder in their first season in MLS. The Brazilian has scored or assisted in two-thirds of his starts (six of nine) and the Red Bulls are 4-1-1 in those games.
With the Red Bulls leading 1-0 in the 56th minute, the team played the ball intricately from defense to attack which saw forward Tom Barlow bounce off his effort saving on the Luquinhas road. The midfielder raced on the ball a few yards from the penalty area and neatly hit a one-time chip on a diving Toronto defender and goalkeeper for the game’s second goal (watch here).
Luquinhas is the second Red Bulls player to win MLS Player of the Week this year, joining Lewis Morgan in Week 2. Only the LA Galaxy and San Jose Earthquakes have won MLS Player of the Week honors. the week this season. He is the first Red Bull player to receive the honor in his first season in MLS since Luke Rodgers in 2011.
The Red Bulls will be looking to win back-to-back games when they face LAFC at Banc of California Stadium on Sunday, June 26 (3 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN Deportes).
Before that, they will host New York City FC in the quarter-finals of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup at Red Bull Arena on Wednesday at 8 p.m.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75% of the vote, while a vote from Twitter fans accounts for the remaining 25%. NASR is made up of members from print, television, radio and online media.
|2022 MLS Player of the Week
presented by the winners of Continental Tire
|Week 1||carlos vela||Los Angeles Soccer Club|
|Week 2||Lewis Morgan||New York Red Bulls|
|Week 3||Dayne St.Clair||Minnesota United F.C.|
|Week 4||Jesus Ferreira||FC Dallas|
|Week 5||Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez||The Galaxy|
|Week 6||Leonardo Campana||InterMiami CF|
|Week 7||Valentine “Taty” Castellanos||New York FC|
|Week 8||Christian Espinoza||San Jose Earthquakes|
|Week 9||Kamal Miller||FC Montreal|
|Week 10||Ronaldo Cisneros||Atlanta United F.C.|
|Week 11||Sebastien Blanco||Portland Woods|
|Week 12||Jamiro Monteiro||San Jose Earthquakes|
|Week 13||Sebastien Ferreira||Houston Dynamo F.C.|
|Week 14||Dejan Joveljic||The Galaxy|
|Week 15||Luquinhas||New York Red Bulls|
FOR YOUR SUMMER READING: A book about the highs and lows of the Rochester Lancers